Counting over 800 new features, not including changes to the rules of the games 50+ leagues, Football Manager 2012 promises to be the most realistic, immersive and playable football management simulation ever for any fan who has ever dreamed of making the big decisions, both on and off the field.
- Transfers & Contracts – significant changes to the transfer and contract systems, including loyalty bonuses, better implementation of amateur and youth contracts, an improved transfer centre and the ability to lock areas of the contract negotiation when you aren't prepared to budge. This helps you to manage your budgets and gives you flexibility in what you offer money hungry players, or agents, as incentives.
- Scouting improvements – using several real life scouting reports, a new in-game report has been devised which includes squad analysis, tactics information and information about goals scored and conceded alongside lots of other scouting improvements, giving you all the information you need to prepare before kick-off and throughout the season.
- 3D Match Improvements – new animations, a whole new crowd system, improved weather system, more stadiums, plus two brand new cameras – “Behind Goal” and “Director Cam” as well as all other camera angles being reversible – meaning you can watch and analyse every aspect of every game.
- Manage Anywhere, Anytime – the ability to add or take away playable nations in your saved game as often as you want. Manage in that country at the start of the next season- meaning you don't have to stay in the nations which are chosen by you to be playable at the start of your career.
- Tone – a whole new level has been added to team talks and conversations, with the new tone system, which allows you to specify the way you want to say things – be as cool as a cucumber by saying things calmly or throw tea cups around by saying things with passion. There are 6 different tones to choose from with specific comments per tone.
- Intelligent Interface – a new adaptive layout system, which means the higher your screen resolution, the more info is easily at your fingertips. The new interface also contains new filters, customisable columns, a new tactics screen, and lots of new overview screens.
- Brand New Tutorial – standing separate from the main game, a mode to help new players find their way around the game easily, whilst also offering tips to experienced managers on how to get the most out of the game, as well as a new in-game “how to” system.
Review by IGN
“Is Football Manager 2012 a revolution? Probably not, but in that respect it's a victim of its own success. When a game is this colossal, this rich, it's hard to see how it could possibly be bettered, match engine excepted…Some may look at Sports Interactive and detect a faint glimmer of complacency, but just because Football Manager's opposition have all but given up, this doesn't mean the king can't rule his kingdom.”
IGN RATINGS FOR FOOTBALL MANAGER 2012 (PC)
Putting aside a passable 3D match engine, which was never going to win any beauty contests, the adaptive layout and clear, functional presentation means this is the best looking Football Manager yet.
A slight haze now adorns the furthest reaches of the pitches and goalkeepers look that little bit more agile and fluid. There's the usual incremental improvements visually but it’s still no looker.
Not really the point of Football Manager. Instead, stick on an album or even try burping the alphabet. Anything's better than what's on offer here.
It's somehow managed to get deeper but yet it's easier to get to grips with – and certainly more responsive. I don't think I've been more impressed with advances made by a new FM game.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
You've only got to look at the wealth of forum posts and discussions across the internet to realise this is a game that endures – and it isn’t getting any easier for you FM widows / widowers.
(out of 10)
Discuss this product
(If you require assistance from Mighty Ape, please contact us.)
Customers who purchased this also purchased...
If you think we've made a mistake or omitted details, please send us your feedback.