In service for only a decade, the supersonic bomber was dubbed "the Hustler," a tribute to its impressive performance. The effort that resulted in the B-58, which saw its heyday in the 1960s, began in February 1949 when the Air Research and Development Command at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base initiated the second Generalized Bomber Study (GEBO II). The first of these, the 43d Bomb Wing, was based from 1960 into 1964 at Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, Texas, adjacent to the factory where the B-58 was built, then moved in 1964 to Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas, where it remained until the Hustler's retirement in 1970. Despite its impressive performance, the B-58 was not without shortcomings. Accordingly, in 1965, Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara ordered the B-58 phased out by 1974. Then, as the Nixon Administration made one last attempt to bring the Vietnam War to a successful end, Defense Secretary Melvin Laird advanced this phase-out to Fiscal Year 1970 to reduce defense expenditures. Accordingly, the aircraft were, except for a few display specimens, sent to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, where they lingered in storage until 1977, at which time they were sold for scrap to Southwestern Alloys.