The numbers speak volumes: 100,000 costumes, 8,000 extras, 300 sets and a staggering budget in its day the largest in movie history. Ben-Hur's creators made it the best, the greatest Biblical-era epic ever. Charlton Heston brings a muscular physical and moral presence to the role of Judah Ben-Hur, a Jewish nobleman in Palestine whose heroic odyssey includes enslavement by the Romans, a bold escape from an embattled slave galley, vengeance against his tormentors during a furious arena chariot race and fateful encounters with Jesus Christ.
Heston's charismatic performance brought him the Best Actor Oscar; the winner as 1959's Best Picture with the legendary William Wyler earning his third Best Director trophy, the film won a total 11 Academy Awards – a tally unequaled until 1997's Titanic set sail.
- Newly Remastered and Restored from Original 65mm Film Elements
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio
- Commentary by Film Historian T. Gene Hatcher with Scene Specific Comments from Charlton Heston
- Music-Only Track Showcasing Miklos Rozsa's Score
- The Thames Television Restoration with Stereophonic Orchestral Score by Composer Carl Davis
- New Documentary: Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema – Current filmmakers such as Ridley Scott and George Lucas reflect on the importance and influence of the film
- 1994 Documentary: Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic Hosted by Christopher Plummer
- Ben-Hur: A Journey Through Pictures – New audiovisual recreation of the film via stills, storyboards, sketches, music and dialogue
- Screen Tests
- Vintage Newsreels Gallery
- Highlights from the 1960 Academy Awards Ceremony
- Theatrical Trailer Gallery.
Best Picture Oscar Winner 1959.
Best Picture Golden Globe Winner 1959.
Best Picture BAFTA Winner 1960.