I personally enjoyed this game. I thought it was at times cute, at times a little weird, and it also went to deep places which video games don't tend to go to. I'm talking self-referential characters realizing they're in a video game, for example. But I know for sure it won't be for everyone.
Some good points:
- It really utilizes the unique possibilities of the DS as a console. Unlike most games I've seen for the DS, you actually use the stylus to do a range of things, such as peel stickers on and off, tap a foe, tap your own character, tap fruit off a tree, stroke a cat-dog kind of thing (this part was soooooooooo much fun!!). It also uses the two screens in a way that doesn't seem like the developers went “oh no, we've got two screens and we've designed a game for only one screen!”.
- If you love solving puzzles and finding secret entrances, this will be fun for you
- You sail around the world, completing side quests, and you can cook, fish and steal too (with the right costume!)
- I only once got completely lost during the main storyline and had to look at a FAQ to save myself, so that was good
- I liked the graphics. Depending on what you like this may or may not be good. They are very old school. The game has a real original aesthetic going on.
Some bad points:
- When you really get into it, and I mean reeeeally, like if you're a completionist, the leveling system is incredibly complex, to the point of being annoying. If you ARE a completionist, you really want to look at a FAQ before you start playing, as you can hit some points of no return.
- There seem to be a lot of pointless quests at first, but they're actually completed AFTER the game. Watch out! You could spend a lot of time mucking around unnecessarily when all you want to do is just finish the game.
- Sometimes confusing. But that can be a good thing sometimes.
- Combat system can get boring, as you just press the B button, target an enemy, and stand there hitting it. I mean, you can spice it up with your decals (usually you'll want to save those for a boss though). But on the plus side, the lack of ‘mashing’ certainly helps you avoid RSI :)
Anyway, I think this is a great game. I enjoyed it, and I am going to play it through again, this time following a guide so that I can complete it 100%. That will take me many hours, but that's another great thing about the game: replay value. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.