WHEN ACTORS SING could be the title of a surreal reality-based TV show; instead it often turns out to be an all too real phenomenon. Luckily, the soundtrack for the Bruce Paltrow-directed movie comedy about the world of karaoke turns out to be a highly listenable collection of real-life musicians and actors picking up microphones and letting it all hang out vocally. Among the non-singers of the batch who deserve special mention is Paltrow's daughter Gwyneth. Playing the role of daughter to con artist Huey Lewis, her soulful delivery not only meshes well with her fictional pappy on a sweet sounding version of Smokey Robinson's "Cruisin'," but also with Babyface on a duet of the Temptations' "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)."
Other thespians who come through with flying colors are former ER starlet Maria Bello and Paul Giamatti (aka Howard Stern nemesis Pig Vomit). Bello goes the techno route with the Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" while taking a considerably mellower tone on the Bonnie Raitt ballad "I Can't Make You Love Me." Juxtaposing Giamatti's straightforward reading of Todd Rundgren's "Hello, It's Me," is a roof raising cover of "Try a Little Tenderness" alongside jazz singer Arnold McCuller.
- Feeling Alright - Huey Lewis
- Bette Davis Eyes - Gwyneth Paltrow
- Cruisin' - Gwyneth Paltrow/Huey Lewis
- Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) - Gwyneth Paltrow/Babyface
- Try A Little Tenderness - Paul Giamatti/Arnold McCuller
- Hello, It's Me - Paul Giamatti
- I Can't Make You Love Me - Mario Bello
- Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Maria Bello
- Lonely Teardrops - Huey Lewis
- Copacabana - John Pinette
- Freebird - Arnold McCuller
- Beginnings/Endings - David Newman