Garner, North Carolina, located just south of Raleigh, was officially reinstated as a town in 1905; however, settlers lived here as early as the 1750s. Like many Southern towns, Garner's economy was originally supported by farming, especially cotton and, later, tobacco. In the mid-19th century the railroad and Holloman's Road, an old country road connecting Garner with Raleigh, brought much change to the community. Residents were able to travel between the state capital and their hometown, bringing back new ideas, merchandise, and settlers. This continues today; however, Garner has maintained the small-town charm of its past while adapting to the changing culture surrounding it.