The Doors: Jim Morrison (vocals); Robby Krieger (guitar); Ray Manzarek (keyboards); John Densmore (drums).
Producers: Pual A. Rothchild, Bruce Botnick, The Doors.
Compilation producers: The Doors, David McLees.
Recorded between 1967 & 1983. Includes liner notes by Jim Ladd.
Australian version features two bonus tracks.
There's been no shortage of Doors compilations over the years, but this two-disc 2003 collection is looking like the one to beat. It spans the seminal band's entire (though admittedly brief) career, and perhaps most importantly, it goes well beyond the usual hits and radio fodder. LEGACY digs deep into the Doors' catalog, fully capturing the mysterious beauty and hypnotic intensity of their work. Naturally all the standards are included ("Light My Fire," "Love Me Two Times," "Hello, I Love You," etc.), and truth be told those are fully as majestic as their more obscure brethren, whether or not they've been overplayed throughout the decades.
It's a pleasure to scour the less traveled corners via the poetic-yet-visceral "Peace Frog," the twisted carnival of souls that is "Not to Touch the Earth," and the mystical narrative of "Celebration of the Lizard." "Strange Days" is true psychedelia, full of transcendent intrigue and absent of flower-power nostalgia. "Tell All the People" is something of a celebratory anomaly with a gospel-revival tint. Traveling the full breadth of the Doors' recordings makes one realize exactly why their appeal has lasted for so long.
- Break On Through (To The Other Side) - (studio)
- Back Door Man - (studio)
- Light My Fire - (studio)
- Twentieth Century Fox - (studio)
- Crystal Ship - (studio)
- Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar) - (studio)
- Riders On The Storm (Pnau Club Mix) - (studio)
- End - (studio)
- Love Me Two Times - (studio)
- People Are Strange - (studio)
- When The Music's Over - (studio)
- My Eyes Have Seen You - (studio)
- Moonlight Drive - (studio)
- Strange Days - (studio)
- Hello I Love You - (studio)
- Unknown Soldier - (studio)
- Spanish Caravan - (studio)
- Five To One - (studio)
- Not To Touch The Earth - (studio)
- Touch Me - (studio)
- Wild Child - (studio)
- Tell All The People - (studio)
- Wishful Sinful - (studio)
- Roadhouse Blues - (studio)
- Waiting For The Sun - (studio)
- You Make Me Real - (studio)
- Peace Frog - (studio)
- Love Her Madly - (studio)
- L.A. Woman - (studio)
- Riders On The Storm - (studio)
- Wasp (& The Texas Radio) - (studio)
- Changeling - (studio)
- Gloria (Live Version) - (studio)
- Celebration Of The Lizard (previously unreleased) - (studio)