Originating in a carding mill, as a subscription school with six students in 1846, the evolution of Mount Union College is representative of many midwestern schools in the 19th century. Author Lyle Crist has created a pictorial history of the college using over 200 vintage images, capturing the essence of a school often referred to by first president O.N. Hartshorn, as a "cosmic institution for the people." From academy to seminary, to a chartered college in 1858, Mount Union followed the traditional educational paths of its day, with an unfettered spirit towards academia, co-education, sports, and religious studies. Pictured here are the students, presidents, buildings, and activities that are remembered by both alumni and current students and faculty: the acquirement of Scio College in the college's early years, Morgan Gymnasium, the internationally traveled Mount Union Choir, Chapman Hall, and the Clarke Observatory.