Producers include: E-Swift, Jelly Roll, The Neptunes, Just Blaze, LT Hutton.
"Beautiful" was nominated for the 2004 Grammy Awards for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration and for Best Rap Song.
On PAID THA COST, Snoop Dogg delivers plenty of the kind of visceral, sensuous, West Coast G-Funk that we've come to love him for. The most blatant example is "Stoplight," which samples and nods to P-Funk's ubiquitous "Flashlight," but somehow ends up sounding more like vintage Rick James gone hip-hop. Though his vintage beats and loopy sense of humor complement that sound perfectly, he doesn't leave things at that. The honey-sweet vocals of LaToiya Williams lend a melodic, slow-jam R&B flavor to the mellow "I Believe in You." A love song from Snoop? Believe it. "Ballin'" features the old-school vocal-harmony soul that's always been close to Snoop's heart, courtesy of the Dramatics. "From tha Chuuuch to Da Palace" ups the humor ante by including a lascivious adaptation of "Buffalo Gals." What's curious is that the already laid-back Snoop often seems to retreat from the spotlight on this album, letting the production and special touches occupy the forefront. Perhaps it's just that he's already proven himself so thoroughly that he's ready to go where no rapper has gone before--egolessness.
What the critics say...
Rolling Stone (1/23/03, p.67) - 3 stars out of 5 - "...Snoop stretches his silky flow over tracks by underground ace Hi-Tek and the unstoppable Neptunes..."
Spin (2/03, p.100) - 8 out of 10 - "...The most spirited pop record of his career....PAID THA COST is Snoop unleashed..."
Entertainment Weekly (12/13/02, p.82) - "...Snoop is reborn, a gangsta rap granddaddy in recline..." - Rating: A-
Uncut (01/03, p.128) - 3 stars out of 5 - "...He treads a line between loving monogamy and club bangers, emphasizing accessibility throughout..."
Vibe (1/03, pp.125-6) - 3.5 out of 5 - "...His wordplay is still as nimble and quick as ever, giving the beats a beat down with newfound urgency..."
- Don Doggy
- Da Bo$$ Would Like To See You
- From Tha Chuuuch To Da Palace - (featuring Pharrell)
- I Believe In You - (featuring Latoiya Williams)
- Lollipop - (featuring Jay-Z/Soopafly/Nate Dogg)
- Ballin' - (featuring The Dramatics/Lil' Half Dead)
- Beautiful - (featuring Pharrell/Uncle Charlie Wilson)
- Paper'd Up - (featuring Mr. Kane/Traci Nelson)
- Wasn't Your Fault
- Bo$$ Playa
- Hourglass - (featuring Mr. Kane/Goldie Loc)
- One And Only, The
- I Miss That Bitch - (featuring E-White)
- From Long Beach 2 Brick City - (featuring Redman/Nate Dogg/Warren G)
- Suited N Booted
- You Got What I Want - (featuring Ludacris/Goldie Loc/Uncle Charlie Wilson)
- Batman & Robin - (featuring The Lady Of Rage/RBX)
- Message 2 Fat Cuzz, A
- Pimp Slapp'd
Nobody has reviewed this product yet. You could be the first!Write a Review
There are no Marketplace listings available for this product currently.
Already own it? Create a free listing and pay just 9% commission when it sells!