Wash Them Go Go: Ju Ju (drums); Little Beats, Shorty Tim (percussion).
The Strictly Unreasonable Zang Tuum Tumb Big Beat Colossus includes: Jamie Talbert (alto saxophone); John Thirkel, Guy Barker, Stuart Brook (trumpet); Pete Beachill (trombone); Geoff Perkins (bass trombone); Frank Ricotti (percussion).
Producers: Chris Blackwell, Alex Sadkin, Trevor Horn.
Compilation producers: Bill Levenson, Jerry Rappaport, Trevor Wyatt.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas. Includes liner notes by Brian Chin.
Includes 2 previously unreleased tracks, 4 previously unreleased versions of her hits, and 16 songs appearing for the first time on CD.
A comprehensive collection of Jones' post-disco work, most of it recorded between 1980 and 1982 in Nassau, Bahamas, with a truly remarkable studio band, including the legendary reggae rhythm team of Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare, along with Marianne Faithful collaborator Barry Reynolds on guitar. The songs--which run the gamut from Smokey Robinson to Chrissie Hynde to Johnny Cash--are generally arranged in an innovative, ahead-of-their-time way (echoey yet spare, with lots of deep bass) that owes a bit to dub and in any case provides a perfect backdrop for Jones' Queen of the Undead vocals.
What the critics say...
Spin (7/98, pp.124-125) - 8 (out of 10) - "...These songs capture the vibe of the early 1980s demilitarized zone between disco and hip-hop, when black pop slowed down the tempo but remained party-friendly and percolated in a distinctly African way..."
Entertainment Weekly (6/19/98, p.75) - "...Her mannish, sing-speak delivery (imagine a Jamaican Lotte Lenya) bristles with sexual frisson, and driven by Sly & Robbie's cyber-dub rhythms on those early-'80s sessions, it made for transgressive dance-floor epics that bridged new-wave chill and `Saturday Night Fever'..." - Rating: B+
- Private Life - (Long version)
- Private Life - (previously unreleased, Dub version)
- Love Is The Drug - (Long version)
- Warm Leatherette - (Long version)
- Hunter Gets Captured By The Game, The - (Long version)
- I've Done It Again
- Pars - (previously unreleased, Long version)
- Pull Up To The Bumper
- Use Me - (previously unreleased, Long version)
- She's Lost Control - (Long version)
- She's Lost Control - (previously unreleased, Dub version)
- Walking In The Rain
- Cry Now, Laugh Later
- Apple Stretching, The
- Nipple To The Bottle - (12" version)
- My Jamaican Guy - (12" version)
- Feel Up
- I've Seen That Face Before (Libertango)
- Demolition Man - (Long version)
- Unlimited Capacity For Love
- Ring Of Fire - (previously unreleased, Demo version)
- Man Around The House - (previously unreleased)
- Living My Life - (7" version)
- Slave To The Rhythm - (Hot Blooded version)
Nobody has reviewed this product yet. You could be the first!Write a Review
There are no Marketplace listings available for this product currently.
Already own it? Create a free listing and pay just 9% commission when it sells!