Original score composed by Marilyn Manson.
"My Plague" (Slipknot) was nominated for the 2003 Grammy Awards for Best Metal Performance.
With a splatter-filled zombie/mutant video-game-cum-horror-film providing the inspiration, all corners of the aggro-rock nation pulled together to serve up seething songs for the RESIDENT EVIL soundtrack. Filled with plenty of previously unreleased material, much of the music is characterized by guttural growling, trip-hammer time signatures, and teeth-rattling guitar playing by groups like Slipknot ("My Plague [New Abuse Mix]"), Mudvayne ("Dig [Everything And Nothing Remix]"), and Static-X ("Anything But This"). Other participants chose to take an equally dark but more melodic approach, including vets Fear Factory ("Invisible Wounds [The Suture Mix]") and Rammstein ("Halleluja") along with rookies Five Pointe O ("The Infinity").
Electronica mavens Crystal Method even pump up the testosterone on "Name Of The Game (Clean Game)," featuring crunchy riffing by guest guitarist Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello. The only other departures from the nu-metal content of this collection come via Depeche Mode's previously unreleased, slithering cover of The Stooges' "Dirt" and Method Man's Prodigy Mix of "Release Yo' Delph" complete with sampled fanfare and chock-a-block rhythms. Most impressive is Marilyn Manson's quartet of murky instrumentals co-written with Tim Skold that include the main title theme and the equally sinister "Seizure of Power."
What the critics say...
Q (May 2002, p.125) - 3 out of 5 stars - "...A clutch of contemporary metal and industrial acts....well-executed and atmospheric..."
CMJ (3/25/02, p.15) - "...There's lots of new stuff on this album for Loud Rock to claim, including, some noteworthy remixes and previously unreleased tracks..."
- Red Queen
- My Plague - Slipknot (new abuse mix, previously unreleased)
- Fight Song, The - Marilyn Manson (Slipknot remix, previously unreleased)
- Something Told Me - Coal Chamber (previously unreleased)
- Name Of The Game - The Crystal Method
- Everyone - Adema
- Invisible Wounds - (the suture mix, previously unreleased)
- Anything But This - Static-X (previously unreleased)
- Halleluja - Rammstein
- Dirt - Depeche Mode (previously unreleased)
- What Comes Around - Ill Nino (day of the dead mix, previously unreleased)
- Dig - Mudvayne (everything and nothing remix)
- Release Yo Delph - Method Man (Prodigy mix)
- 800 - Saliva (previously unreleased)
- Infinity, The - Five Pointe O
- Umbrella Corporation, The
- Resident Evil Main Theme
- Seizure Of Power