The new graphics engine looks pretty cool but there some significant flaws and other issues. Some should have been found and fixed during beta testing.
- You can't double-click colonists in the town garrison to give them out of town jobs (Soldier, Pioneer, Missionary…) , you have to drag them into the city then drag them back out to the garrison screen to give them a job.
- No keyboard option to enter your own towns, you have to double-click.
- A lot of alerts are just text at the top of the screen, this is great and speads up game play, but you have to keep an eye on them or you'll miss an update that a town is out of or overflowing with a resource.
- Some pop messages don't provide a go to city option, this is a little irritating.
- The Trade route management screen isn't very intuitive and makes managing trade routes difficult (A major issue now that the custom house is gone)
- There is no way to have boycotts forgiven, once you throw that cloth overboard that's it, you can only trade it with the natives.
Other game features missing from the original
- No foreign intervention. You are on your own now.
- No custom house. Causes a bit more micro-management
- Non-Veteran soldiers do not become veteran through combat, they must be trained.
- Soldiers cannot be dissarmed and captured, if they lose a fight they are gone forever.
- Colonists can now die if they take up muskets to defend the colony. This means killing your own colonists to retake a town.
- Horses do not grow on their own anymore. They require a manned stable and a stable requires horses to be built.
- War ships now require tools and weapons for construction (Ship of the line 300 tools 300 muskets) .
- Training colonists now takes longer depending on the colonist. One of my students was going to take over 30 turns to get a proffession.
- Training colonists now costs money for some professions and you can't postpone graduation if you're out of cash.
- If you lose a town during the revolution the rebel sentiment goes straight back to 0, even if it is only lost for a single turn.
- Pioneers don't need to refill their tools. Once they are equipped just let them go for it, but some jobs cost 20gp.