The Guild 3 is a unique blend of eco-simulation, strategy game, historical
life-sim, and RPG.
Europe in the 1400s: The dark middle ages, once dominated by nobles and the clergy, came to an end and a new era begins: the age of free, prospering cities, trading and an open mind-set!
One of the goals in the “The Guild” series is to create a family dynasty which can last for centuries. While the world around you and your dynasty rearranges itself time and time again – all non-player characters (NPCs) make their own decisions –, you have to prove your skills in artisan craftwork and trading, participate in social occasions and perfect your political schemes and malicious intrigues.
For the sequel of the popular The Guild series, Nordic Games, holder of rights and publisher of the series, was able to hire the Canadian developer GolemLabs in 2014. GolemLabs has a lot of experience with strategy games and artificial intelligence, as they developed the renown Superpower 2. The Guild 3 makes use of the very powerful Darksiders engine.
- Sandbox – Forge your dynasty and create your own “goal” of the game: become sovereign (with “good” or “evil” behaviour), dominate the city or the whole scenario (economically, politically) or annihilate all of your competitors.
- AI makes every scenario look, feel, and play differently, as the need and desire based system influences the AI behaviour in a (seemingly) random way.
- Random-based global events, e.g. famine, plagues, war, town fires.
- Actions from other players (or from yourself) like revolts in neighbourhoods, trade embargos and other economic measures.
- AI System – The EHE (Evolutive Human Emulator), the new AI system in the Guild 3, is adaptive, dependent on a 6 trait-system, and with said AI, behavioural patterns evolve because of its inherent ability to adapt to any given need and desire system. The 6 defining traits or characteristics of our agents (including groups like societies, neighbourhoods, etc. that come to “think” as a whole), are separated into 3 groups of opposing pairs:
- Construction – Destruction
- Ego – Community
- Wealth – Power
The EHE was developed for large-scale, multi-agent dynamic systems. The goal
was to make a system that would learn from experience and modify its behaviour
according to a changing dataset and changing actions by the player.
The EHE learns by experience and saves its knowledge, so the more you play, the better it’s suited to play against you.
- Will be available at launch to create and share maps with the community, and select from an ever-growing library of scenarios.
- Easy to use modding kit in “sandbox-style”.
- Multiplayer with up to 16 Players
- The Guild 3 has its custom multiplayer integrated and can connect to other The Guild 3 players, no matter where they bought the game. Every player will be able to play with each other, even LAN vs. LAN connected via Internet will be possible.
- Players joining a multiplayer-scenario will not join a team, but rather choose their character instead.
- Free Play Mode – You can choose between objective (story) driven or free play to create and break alliances at will.
- Societies – In The Guild 3 the societies can be compared to very powerful social clubs. Some of them, like the Freemasons or the Smithsguild, are publicly known, others, such as the Guild of Thieves or the Warlocks’ Circle, are kept secret.
- City Districts – New neighbourhoods are being created within a city through political intervention/general rise in population, or similar environmental circumstances.
- Economy – After you have established your financial basis, you have the option to set to automatic and focus on politics, intrigues, and increase your power/influence/wealth etc.
- Character / Dynasty Evolution – There are a complex tree of skills, professions, actions and bonuses waiting for you to be unlocked.