Sir William Purdia Treloar became Lord Mayor of London of 1906, where he almost immediately began a fundraising appeal to found his hospital and college. A year later, the Lord Mayor Treloar's Cripples' Home and College Trust (soon called the Lord Mayor Treloar Trust) was formed and premises acquired at Chawton near Alton in Hampshire. In 1908, the first children arrived in the hospital and the first boys at the college. Right from the start, Sir William had thought that 'the institution should be curative and educational' and that 'the best possible way of helping cripples to regain health, and to become useful, is to remove the tuberculous-afflicted children to purer air, and to add to medical care and attention a course of manual training, to fit them to gain a livelihood.' Forty years after its formation, Treloar's faced a huge change then the National Health Service took control of the hospital. After finding a suitable site, the Load Mayor Treloar College moved to Froyle in 1953 and then started a school for handicapped boys. 1965 saw the opening of the Florence Treloar School for Girls at Holybourne, and the amalgamation of the two establishments took place in 1978.
Over the succeeding years, the school and college were reconstructed to meet the changing needs of the students. This book looks at the education at Treloar's, in its broadest sense, during its first 100 years.