By combining some of the concepts of Civilization with the general gameplay of Age of Empires, Big Huge Games has created a truly outstanding game. Conquer the WORLD!!!!
Resources: This is mostly because it removes the biggest problem with resource management; resources no longer run out, and in skirmishes can even be made infinite!
The downside of this is that you have to build buildings like woodcutters camps to gather resources. There are also 5 resources, plus bonus resources, which I dislike.
National Boundaries: Players can only build inside their own, which are expanded by building cities.
Ships: No buggy garrisoning in ships, with the right tech and a dock, units become their own ships!
Campaign: A note for single players; the 5 campaigns (4 in the expansion) are not story based. Instead, you open on a risk-like board for an TBS format. You move your armies from territory to territory with the aim of capturing all opponents nations' capitals (pre-set and can't be changed). Each move takes you into an RTS battle. Battles are different depending on who's attacking.
Rise of Nations
From Brian Reynolds, Designer of Civilization II and Alpha Centauri, comes Rise of Nations, combining the epic scope of Civilization with the fast-paced action of real-time strategy games. Rise of Nations allows you to create new cities, improve the city infrastructure and expand national borders. You have the option to win through military might, using everything from slingshots to cannons to stealth bombers; corner the market on key commodities; and wheel and deal with a wide variety of civilizations. Quickly play from the Stone Age to the modern age.
Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots, the expansion pack to the critically acclaimed, best-selling real-time strategy (RTS) game Rise of Nations, adds a barrage of new features to the original game. Combining the epic scope of traditional turn-based strategy games with the fast-paced action of RTS games, Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots enables players to explore 6,000 years of history as they amass powerful armies, build prosperous economies and perform acts of diplomacy.
Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots introduces six new nations, four unique single-player campaigns, more than 20 original units, new wonders and new government types. Unlike other historical RTS games, the Rise of Nations franchise allows gamers to quickly play through eight historical epochs of time from the Ancient Age to the Information Age.
- Lead one of 24 highly diverse nations: With the Gold Edition, players can lead one of 24 nations - in the single player campaigns or on a multiplayer battlefield. Each nation has its own distinctive national powers and special units.
- Engage in 5 single player campaigns and over 130 scenarios: Non-linear, single-player campaigns based on historical epochs will keep players busy as they plan their moves on the strategic outer map and play out battles in over 130 scenarios. Campaigns include Alexander the Great, Napoleon, the New World, Cold War and the ultimate challenge: the Entire World.
- Command over 240 different units: Players can lead their armies to fight on land, sea or in the air with everything from slingers, musketeers, tanks, massive Persian War elephants, aircraft carriers and nuclear missiles.
- In-depth game experience: Gamers will be able to create a truly strategic game experience by using national borders, flank attacks, spies and generals. In addition, as a nation advances through the ages, players can decide between six different government types, from socialism to capitalism, despotism to republic, each government type has a different power that allows players to customize their nations and open up new tactics and strategic possibilities. A unique Patriot unit is available with each government type, bringing a variety of powers to the battlefield.
- Cross-genre gameplay: Combining the speed of real-time gaming with the epic scope of turn-based strategy games, Rise of Nations: Gold Edition allows players to have a fast and fun experience with the option to complete a game in less than an hour. The game’s epic scope moves through eight historical epochs, tying together the mysteries of ancient philosophy and the wonders of the world.
- Multiple ways to achieve victory: Players succeed through nonmilitary and quasi-military strategies including espionage, political maneuvering, technology races and population growth. Players can also choose to win through military action.
- Streamlined multiplayer: Challenge up to eight players on the Internet or via local area network, including in-game matchmaking.
Already own it? Create a free listing and pay just 9% commission when it sells!