Excerpt from Hand-Book of Electro-Therapeutics Dr. Ure, of Glasgow, while experimenting on the bodies of executed criminals produced such violent contraction of the diaphragm as to suggest the practical utilization of electricity for resuscitating persons who were unconscious from drowning. Electricity was first used as a therapeutic agent about the year 1748. Franklin, ten years later, employed the current for medi cal treatment in paralysis. Electricity was used in a London Hospital in the year 1767. About 1760 the Rev. John Wesley, the famous divine, published a treatise entitled Electricity Made Plain and Useful.
In 1807 Sir Humphrey Davy, by means of a powerful voltaic battery, succeeded in decomposing moist potash and obtained metallic potassium at the negative electrode.
The discovery of magneto-electricity in 1831, by Faraday, was the milestone that marked another important stage in the progress Of electrical science. The modern dynamo, evolved from Faraday's discovery, furnishes an electric power which costs but little more than steam.
The advances in the application Of electricity have been marvelous but as physicians we need concern ourselves only with the advances in electro-therapeutics. Until the past few years a physician who used electrical treatment for disease was in danger Of being classed with quacks and charlatans. We have no one but ourselves to blame for an attitude of mind arising from ignorance and superstition.
About the Publisher
Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com
This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.