Toni Collette stars in this supernatural horror written and directed by Ari Aster. When her mother dies, Annie Graham (Collette) and her family find themselves being terrorised by an evil force which has been left behind. With the presence seemingly focused on her teenage daughter Charlie (Milly Shapiro), Annie desperately tries to uncover the horrifying secrets of her ancestry as she looks to protect her family from the sinister entity intent on destroying everything they know. The cast also includes Gabriel Byrne and Alex Wolff.
Critics Reviews for Hereditary:
- “Toni Collette is flawless.” – Andrea Gronvall , Chicago Reader
- “All-time great Toni Collette performance.” – Christy Lemire , What the Flick?!
- “It has the nerve to suggest that the social unit is, by definition, self-menacing, and that the home is no longer a sanctuary but a crumbling fortress, under siege from within.” -Anthony Lane, New Yorker
- “If you're the kind of horror nerd whose cage gets especially rattled by séances, shock scares, and the supernatural, you're in for a hell of a time.” – Chris Nashawaty , Entertainment Weekly
- “Here's a haunted-houses movie for the ages.” – Joe Morgenstern , Wall Street Journal