obviously not the greatest graphics, but hey it was made a long time ago. the storyline is beautiful, there's no question about it. i recommend playing the whole trilogy straight through. not too difficult to play, with unlockable difficulties. max payne is awesome
Max Payne is a gritty journey to the present day New York City during the worst winter blizzard in a century. The thriller pulp story keeps the players guessing right on till the end. The game shoots from the lowest slum pits to the greatest skyscraper heights, leaving behind a trail of corpses, splatters of blood, and empty brass rolling on the floor.
* Max Payne is a story-driven 3rd person action game aimed for a mature audience.
* Two camera modes show the grim present day New York City setting and the gunplay action from the best possible angles. The follow-up mode tails Max Payne, as he runs, his guns blazing and his long leather jacket flapping, through trash littered alleys and cockroach crawling hotel rooms.
* Realistic weapon setup includes over a dozen real-life guns, all fitting the crime-story setting like a bullet in the head.
* The action is surrounded with more than 80 hand-painted comic-screens that enhance the game's dark and gritty atmosphere and attitude, introduce the game's murderous cast of characters and carry the twisting roller coaster plot from one action location to the next.
* E2 Rendering engine. The same engine core that was used to create the amazing visual effects seen in Final Reality.
* Smooth character system that allows seamless characters meshes with a wide range of movement. Characters naturally receive lighting properly from the environment.
* Particle systems. Remedy's ParticleFX editor lets the user create different particle systems that can be used real-time within the game.
* Level Editor. MaxED makes the environment creation intuitive and easy. With MaxEd you'll be editing levels 3D Accelerated and truly experience WYSIWYG for the first time in level editing.
* Full Radiosity Lighting. The lighting has never been this realistic. MAX-FX Radiosity Lighting photo-realistically reflects the light and casts shadows in the environment.
* To guarantee the breath-taking graphics, Max Payne is 3D Accelerated only, support via Direct 3D, plus native support for major accelerators.
* The game features full multiplayer support. All the bangs and goodies the players have come to expect from a major 3D action title are included.
- PC Games