Fifteen chess-enhanced lesson plans address National Council for the Social Studies standards for grades 4-8 and help prepare students to succeed in University Interscholastic League (UIL) Chess Puzzle.
* 25 reproducibles, such as letters home to parents and worksheets
* 15 photographs of famous chess players and of students playing chess
* 28 chess diagrams and 7 examples of student work
* A chronology of chess from ancient times to the present
* A glossary of 90 chess terms from past and present, such as chatrang and en passant
Alexey W. Root is a senior lecturer in education at The University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, TX, and a former U.S. Women's chess champion.